Old 07-12-20, 02:03 PM   #600
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Lorient has fallen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Lorient fell while I was at sea. What now, do I just go full Flying Dutchman?

No friendly harbor on the map has the "tilted anchor" indication. I'm able to refit, but not end patrol.

Hey, from what I recall, Lorient fell into the purview of The 2nd U-boat Flotilla (German 2. Unterseebootsflottille), also known as the Saltzwedel Flotilla, was the second operational U-boat unit.

Founded on 1 September 1936 under the command of Fregattenkapitän Werner Scheer, it was named in honor of Oberleutnant zur See Reinhold Saltzwedel. Saltzwedel, a U-boat commander during World War I, died on 2 December 1917, when his submarine UB-81 was sunk by a mine in the English Channel.

The flotilla was based in Kiel for the first few weeks after its formation, but was later moved to Wilhelmshaven, where it remained until May 1940. In June 1940, the flotilla was moved to Lorient in France until it was disbanded in August 1944.

Its history ended in August 1944 when the last boats left Lorient for Norway.

don't know if 2nd Flotilla merged with another one, after that time.. & can't seem to locate any source material to see if that holds true. What is known is that the war ended less than a year later, on May 7th, 1945 for Germany.

After a tad bit of looking through 10 flotilla's, starting with 1st & stopping after the 10th flotilla, it seems that 5th merged with 1st, after Jan. 1940... but as for 2nd, nary a clue...

Side note:

After reviewing a number of Uboat flotilla info on uboat.net , it seems that flotilla were pretty much history at that stage in the war & what ones remains pretty much operated as 1 flotilla, as it were up until wars end... so NOT exactly rogue or 'Flying Dutchman' as you mentioned.. but there you have it...

Best guess is, after Aug./Sept. of 1944, you're pretty much left to fend for supplies as you are able to as there seems to be no known port to refer to as Home. 1 thing to note, is that the majority of the flotilla's I looked into as was able to any way, left their bases in France & made for Norway, where as far as it went of being reorganized into cohesive flotilla units seems to have fallen apart at that point.