View Single Post
Old 11-12-10, 01:35 PM   #1
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
SH5 Constant Connection Requirement Dropped

So......I was transiting the Kiel Canal early this morning when I bumped my wireless router reaching for some tea, which unfortunately unplugged the adapter and caused me to lose internet connection. Windows started screaming about a connection vanishing, and things went wonky. The funny thing is that I went back to close SH5, figuring that I'd have that 'Connection to Server Lost' message, only to find that the game was still running as normal.

I thought it was odd, so I closed my internet connection and tried to start SH5. No dice. Then I reopened my connection, and all was normal. I minimized the game and closed the connection again. Once again, the game was running without connection to the server. What I am saying is that it would appear that I have to syncrhonize with the server while loading the game and saving, but am no longer required to be connected to the server during the entire play session. This would seem to indicate that there was a change made to the server.

Anyone else have luck with this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: 12/31/10: PC Gamer reports Constant net connection no longer required for Ubisoft games

UPDATE 1/4/11: Appears Ubisoft has removed Removes Constant Online Authentication DRM For PC Games

Quote:
Ubisoft has eliminated its controversial PC DRM technology that required players to remain connected to the internet in order to play the company's games, enabling consumers to play many 2010 titles offline for the first time.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 01-05-11 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added update
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote