View Single Post
Old 10-03-09, 08:00 AM   #28
bybyx
Ensign

Downloads: 942
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
I really wasn't sure where to post this. It's not got anything to do with SH3 Mods, but I figure the mods forum is where the techy types hang out.

Anyway it's time to replace my 5YO rig, but I'm a bit baffled by the new hardware options. Which is better - a standalone HD4850 graphics card, or a HD4550 in hybrid crossfire with a HD3200? Also, how much more powerful is a Phenom II X4 when compared with an Athlon II X4? Help plz.
Hello OLC. I like this topic of yours.
I will start by asking the most important question. How big is the budget for your pc? The second most important is. For what purpose will you use it? And another: From where are you going to buy the rig? A link to some sites in UK will help.
Here's my two cents:
When you buy a new rig it is always good to plan ahead. I personally take my time and buy when a completely new generation comes to the market. Why? Because after 2 years or so I can upgrade my rig without the need to start from scratch. Having a latest generation motherboard and a good PSU will allow you, 2 years from now, to upgrade 2 or 3 parts like CPU, Ram, Video Card and give a new life to your PC. For example I bought a PC in 2004 when I started my PHD studies in Geography because I was in need of a more potent PC for working with maps, and for playing DOOM3, Far Cry and HL2. In 2006 I replaced the, Cpu, Video Card and added 1gb of Ram. I could do all this because the motherboard and PSU could support the newer and more power hungry parts parts. In my opinion the priority of the parts in a PC is:
1. See what you can use from you current rig ( optical drives, FDD, a HDD for storage etc.) I still have in my PC the 2004 CD-RW and DVD-RW.
2. Motherboard. A good motherboard is more reliable and it allows you to place more powerful components and in generally it makes the computer run more smoothly. Also an advanced motherboard is ideal for overclocking
3. PSU. Provides power to the entire rig. A good quality PSU will ensure stability, protection and enough juice for the components in a PC, especially for the power hungry Video Cards.
4. CPU. You need a good CPU to run different applications faster. Also having a powerful CPU is not enough. You will need fast RAM,fast HDD and fast Video Card. There is a need for balance between these components. You can have the most powerful CPU, but a crappy Video Card will slow the PC down and vice versa. Sadly a lot of games are CPU bounded and not VGA bounded.
5. RAM. The more ram you have the better. Choose Ram that will go with the motherboard. Fast Ram is great.
6. Hdd. Is better to have more than one. If the budget allows buy a really fast one for OS, programs and games and a standard one slower but with large capacity for storage. The Hdd is the slowest part in a PC.
7. Video Card.(VGA) This one is a bitch. A powerful card is expensive, two are even more expensive.
8. Case. A PC needs ventilation in order to keep the temperature down. Heat for a PC is bad. A big case is necessary for a powerful rig.
9. Sound Card goes hand in hand with the loudspeakers. If you want excellent sound buy excellent sound card and speakers.
The rest like optical drives, Fdd( really buy one! is very cheap and you never know when you will need one) mouse, keyboard, mouse pad, display are more of a "Chacun a son gout"

Hope it helps!
bybyx is offline   Reply With Quote