View Single Post
Old 07-09-20, 12:13 AM   #47
maslas
MNW Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
This is a good point. I had not considered the initial stages of that type of software release. Eagle Dynamics seems to have built up a base of capital prior to let DCS have a free base game. Then, I wouldn't advocate a free base game with the users paying only for additional modules if it meant microtransactions and ads and all that stuff to make a free base game feasible initially. Perhaps a hybrid between the DCS model and the traditional model - a (somewhat reduced) charge for the base game and then pay money for additional modules. Of course, I'm not here to tell you what the best financial model is for your game, I just find it a very interesting topic in terms of what it takes for sims to survive in this modern video game era.

It is interesting, this is actually the whole point of this thread isn't it?

Let me tell you something you already know...

Every single member of this site and that includes you and me knows what the features of MNW or any equivalent project should be. Maybe with some fluctuations or special preferences but we all do.
The big question is: "Should I spend the money to build it?"

You are on the right track of saying what is in your mind, no problem there.

Modern video game era!

I have no actual proof on what I am going to say. It is my personal opinion.
Simulators do not belong in the same market group as the rest video games.
A simulator designer/developer is addressed to a specific target group of educated individuals regarding a very specific topic and he is responsible to make this product last long.
The only common thing between video games and simulators is that they are sold by the same channel of distributors and that is something that comes from the 80s.
Back then the whole pc gaming community was assembled by those educated individuals (hobbyists) were today it is mutated into a retail market.

We have to be careful not to fall into the retail net.