View Single Post
Old 07-09-17, 05:17 PM   #13
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Because he likely did a plea bargain dont forget his son who was on a carrier was also spying and he worked in cryptography :O

The damage they did to the UK and USA is immense a lot of technology used in the USA is shared between the UK and USA so it also affected the Royal Navy too
There are two sides to it though, not trying to stick up for old Johnny Walker Red but I remember on a documentary. Older Russian guy (possibly an Admiral) talked about how astounding it was to learn, on one hand how superior and radical the advantage was that the Americans had in terms of technology, and on the other hand the realization despite these advantages they had not decided to wage war from their position of strength which went against all Soviet propaganda of the west being hell-bent on the destruction of the Soviet Union and is people, no matter what.

The whole gist of it was, being so plugged into what the US Navy was saying / doing / thinking (thanks to Walker of course) convinced some of these Soviet higher-up types that these Americans, in fact, were not so eager to begin a third-world war, because had they been they would have already!

IIRC the program had something to do with the context of Able Archer 83, I'll have to dig through the DVR and see if I can find it again.