View Single Post
Old 11-14-17, 10:44 AM   #10
scameron66
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fleet Command - Windows 10 - No Sound

I've had Fleet Command for many years and used it every version of Windows from 95 up including 7 & 8.1. Loading it onto Windows 10 was difficult but it can work.

I first started by trying to use an original Sonalysts/Jane's version of the program (both from the actual disk and from an .iso file), the program would not install as it's needed to be run as an administrator or else it identifies that you don't have enough disk space.

Next, even as an administrator, Windows 10 then gave me the "Your app doesn't work with Windows 10" and refused to install it. The original version is imprinted as a Windows 95 application so Windows 10 automatically dismisses it.

Not to be deterred, I then used a patched Strategies-First .exe file version that I downloaded from:

https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/20...fleet-command/

It installed but it had problems including skewed video at resolutions above 800x600 and no voice, ambient or sfx sounds, only the background music.

The surprising trick was then to re-install the program using the original Sonalysts version over the Strategies-First version. Ensure you specify the same file location. Example:

at C:\Program Files\Fleet Command
vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Jane's Combat Simulations\Fleet Command

As it's a re-install and not an initial install, Windows 10 happily allows to you to do this without regards to any of it's previous concerns over versions.

The program now works great and I have full resolution and sound on Windows 10.
scameron66 is offline   Reply With Quote