View Single Post
Old 10-28-20, 04:34 PM   #2080
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
When activated at the start of a mod set-up, and left alone, neither the AI mods nor the dud mods should affect things. I am not as certain about the 399 menu ini mods, nor anything that alters some of the other 'main' files of the mod. Just be certain that your Steam game is NOT in the Program Files folder of Windows, even if it is inside the Steam folder. You can install Steam, and hence its Library folder, in any folder you want. I have mine on the F: drive on the desktop, and the C: drive on the laptop as "\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common"... I just replaced the "Program Files (x86)" portion of the install path with "Games" on the laptop. If you have multiple, usable hard drives or partitions in your computer, you can have a Library folder in each drive. Even after installing into say "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApss \common", you will still find parts of Steam itself in a "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" folder, but the Library folder and SH4 game should not be there... Also, delete the Save folder. Do NOT restore old Saves to it.

Going back to your first statements above, how much RAM do you have in your computer, and / or how many background applets are running in your systray in the lower-right by the clock / calendar on the taskbar? Going low on usable RAM is a problem with the game. Also, one of the idiosyncrasies of loading Saves of this game is the replaying of past events as it loads into memory. This is why if you have a radio station playing, the game has to play the last event played, even if it is from 15 weeks ago, or of the radio messages received sometimes repeating, any encounters with an anti-sub net results in a banshee scream when loading, a torpedo being fired sounds, repaired damage reports repeating, etc. but yours does "sound" to be overly rambunctious...

LOL, I was cautioning people about Program Files usage back before it was even popular. (2007 maybe?) No, I have nothing in Program Files except crud that wouldn't let me have the choice not to install it there, I actively seek to minimize background apps/applets which I have absolutely no need for while gaming. Occasionally, I temporarily run the Core Temp heat monitor in the background to check for peak internal temperatures when I have a game that makes the fans go into overdrive. I don't run it constantly and SH4 doesn't make the fans go into overdrive like other games.

Okay, since you asked...

My set-up

M-Tech Laptop (actually a mainframe equiv. motherboard) with an Intel i9 9900k CPU 3.60 GHz, 32.0 GBytes DDR4 Ram @ 3.00 GHz

nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 w 8 GBytes GDDR6 Ram

3 SSD drives...

Main C: drive is 1 TByte SATA III Samsung 860 EVO
Secondary D: drive is 250 GByte SATA III Samsung 860 EVO
Third E: drive is 250 GByte Samsug 970 EVO Plus NVMe

Main C: drive is for Windows 10, programs, and game installations... minimal on Program Files (that includes the Steam main folder) I actively keep less than half this drive occupied for efficiency reasons)

Secondary D: drive is for remapped /users/name/... content so Windows can write to it simultaneously while doing its normal program and gaming thing.

Third E: drive is dedicated to the Windows 10 Cache file so it can expand/contract dynamically without affecting storage or efficiency of the Main C: drive. Also contains a Win10 Backup image so I can restore Win10 in a snap.

FYI, It takes a whopping 13 seconds from the moment I click the SH4 Wolves of the Pacific Icon and clicking thru the Ubisoft/Yamamoto splashscreens, to load to the main SH4 menu.

Yes, this is an expensive laptop, but the initial price doesn't reflect the overall quality and years of usage at relatively high performance levels. I figure approx 9 years of usage at a cost of less than $500 a year is a bargain compared to money spent on trashy TV and lousy modern movies.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote