View Single Post
Old 03-31-20, 05:20 AM   #659
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Something;ng new and different (in a good way)

On patrol west of Savo Island, September 1942 in USS Salmon (SS-182) attacked an incoming IJN TF with some good results, sinking 3 of the "merchant" DDE's. Upon surfacing I was getting a sonar contact way down the channel toward Honaria. I had no chance of getting there myself, so I used the external camera to view the contact. It was a Kuma light cruiser that had escaped my attack.

Now the good part: Kuma was being assailed by 3 Wildcats. I saw the planes diving in and dropping bombs, with the Kuma's AA going crazy. Two of the planes were burning, but dropped their loads anyway. In the midst of the attack, Kuma was firing torpedoes from both sides! Apparently that is one of the responses to any attack if the object is close enough. Finally, one bomb hit Kuma dead center, blowing it to hell via Iron Bottom Sound.

The next night another run by the IJN resulted in air attacks triggered I'm sure by my successful torpedo attacks. Again I watched the AA action on a destroyer, and sure enough she started spitting out torpedoes as well as her AA.

This is probably a byproduct of the manner in which defensive torpedo launches are generated, and I do not consider it a flaw, per se. Sort of like planes that drop torpedoes, something was "borrowed" to add to the realism. Pretty cool actually to see the torpedoes shooting out and splashing into the sea.

One other thing, all 3 of the Wildcats were shot down. The crews were in rafts with the pink flare marking their positions. I was able to approach and rescue all 3 crews (getting pretty good at that one, at least in fairly calm seas), but though it felt good to save the crews, there is no credit for a successful rescue. Perhaps one day that can change? There is often some risk in surfacing to pick up survivors. I guess the satisfaction of a job well done is enough for now.

Good Hunting!

EDIT: it was USS Swordfish, SS-193, NOT the Salmon.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 04-01-20 at 04:03 AM.
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote