View Single Post
Old 03-26-20, 04:00 PM   #649
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
FAKE EDIT: I'm leaving this here as a billboard of shame... see the last lines before composing a reply.

Hello folks,

Having a bit of an issue getting the game to load. I have burned up a dozen or so gigs of bandwidth redownloading the Steam version of SH4 today ensuring I am doing this right. Here's what I'm doing, just so I give you devs a comprehensive procedure so that you can tell me what I'm doing wrong (because Wolfpack345's livestream video has got me hooked and I want to play)

System Data:
Win10 Pro N
i5-8600K, 16gb RAM, 1070Ti
Install on SSD
Steam Library folder installed to SSD root
  1. Delete SH4 saves folder
  2. Install SH4 via Steam to C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific
  3. Run LAA on SH4.exe
  4. Create JSGME "Mods" folder
  5. Run JSGME "Snapshot" task.
  6. Extract FotRSU folder to "Mods" from archive
  7. Enable FotRSU via JSGME
  8. Run SH4.exe

When I run SH4, the opening video and cinematic play without issue. The problem occurs when the splash screen loading bar fills up, and I start getting dialog boxes in the background stating "File Not Found: [blah]" and there's like a billionty of them (at least, I'm not quite willing to wear out my spacebar finding the end). They seem to repeat. Example:

https://i.imgur.com/rXDHlBa.png

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

*FAKE EDIT: I FOUND OUT I WAS INSTALLING THE NON-UBOAT VERSION THE WHOLE TIME BECAUSE THE UBOAT VERSION WAS IN MY FAVORITES CATEGORY Let this be a lesson to the rest of you!

Game loads fine now that it can find all the files it's looking for. Hope to post some tonnage reports soon! (elsewhere, of course)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I have this same issue every time I have to reload a pristine version of SH4 1.5. One of the skippers on this site (sorry, don't remember who) gave me this solution. It works perfectly for me.

First go into Task Manager and make sure SH4.exe process is not actually running. End the program there if it is.

Then, go back to your desktop and:

1. Right click on the SH4 shortcut or SH4.exe;
2. Click on Properties;
3. Click on the Compatibility Tab;
4. Click on the "Change high DPI Settings" button
5. Check the box at the bottom ("Override high DPI Scaling behavior. Scaling performed by Application")
6. Click the OK buttons (both of them) to save the new setting.
7. Try starting SH4 again.

Like I said, this works for me like magic. Hope it helps you too.
I'm glad you got it all sorted out! But if I may insert my 'two cents worth!' I would be able to get to the third patrol and 'save" about 150 nm from my home port which was Pearl Harbor, I would 'save' the game and exit. Start the game and every time it would CTD. Thinking I done something wrong during installation of the program, I would delete everything and start from scratch. Until just the other day, I read a thread, 'Window 10 issue' on the 'SH4 Wovles of the Pacific' forum. After making the changes suggested by TorpedoBait, I opened the saved file that crashed before without any problems. If you have problems later, give this a try.
Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote