View Single Post
Old 04-19-21, 02:35 PM   #2190
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

From a supporter's perspective I am not in favor of this. It will remove some of what appeals to me about football. I won't go through the list, but as just one example, having the big teams out means no cup games for minnows against the traditional giants. Giant killings or no, these games have a romance about them, with just the gate from a small team's game at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge potentially matching their wage bill for the whole year. And if that minnow wins.... New giants would emerge in the vacuum, but it would be bad in the short term.

From a pragmatic perspective I think these clubs should be able to do whatever they please. The notion of United or Liverpool being guardians of the game is archaic, but widely held. But the bottom line is that these are (mostly) privately held companies that should be free to pursue whichever path they decide is best for their self interests. As supporters we may recoil at the thought of a breakaway league, but it isn't up to us.

This idea of a super league has been around a long time. This isn't new, and shouldn't be as shocking as it seems to be. The only shock should be that Spurs are somehow in it