View Single Post
Old 04-01-19, 11:52 AM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
...my first attempt to create a ship model for Silent Hunter...
Well done kapuhy, your model looks like a clean one

Quote:
When it's finished, I plan to import it like SH3 ships as .dat as I don't know a way to export Blender model to .gr2
There is no way to import blender files directly in game, neither as dat nor as gr2 units; you must export your models as wavefront (obj) files before you can import them in game using either Skwas' Silent3ditor or TDW's gr2 importer/exporter.

Due to the limits of the latter program, relying on the gr2 format might do things a bit more complicated, though gr2 models inported in SH5 look much better than dat ones, and they are better supported by the game engine. Considering the simple unit you are currently working on, you might give a try to Gr2 Editor

Quote:
Hmm... I began working on textures and have a question - is it possible to have multiple texture variants on a ship model without adding multiple ship classes to roster?
In SHIV and SH5 camouflages are painted on models' ambient occlusion maps. You can make those maps configurable via cfg file by prepending the 'cfg#TXR' string to the name of their respective material.

Once unit's materials are set up correctly, there are two ways that you can make it to use more than one texture: you can assign multiple texture definitions to the same unit using its roster cfg file, or you can create several 'proxy clones' (i.e. clones of a unit sharing the same dat/obj, sim, etc. files) and give each one one individual texture. Proxy clones can be made to be recognized as just one unit in the recognition manual btw.

Don't hesitate asking in case you need more details on either method
gap is offline   Reply With Quote