View Single Post
Old 02-05-11, 09:48 AM   #117
crackaces
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Suggestions

I have just crossed the 100 hour mark of playing SES Jutland. I am a 'veteran' of AH Jutland and TSR Cordite and Steel-- both games primarly designed for WWI ship to ship combat and Jutland having some strategic componet. However, SES Jutland IMHO combines a nice blend of strategic (What is the goal of the Navy? How should forces be distributed?); Operational considerations (Which fleet goes where and how do they get to the targets?) and Tatical (How do I position ships in the place places and maneuver to inflict the most damage while saving my ships?), 50 bucks for a 100 hours enjoyment and I am still playing is a great value! I pay $100 to play golf or see an NHL game, and sometimes it is not as enjoyable!

More so -- this game is playable and does not require a living room or a gym floor to play!

Here is another big plus -- at least on my platform I have never encoutered a single crash to desktop. I beleive that is fantastic for a game that uses such complex graphics. Heck the Total War series 10 years later still has users complaining about CTD's!

I am a former geek by trade and so I am not one to assume 'X' is a bug, because I do not have the Functional Specification to say behavior 'X' is a defect, but the following software behaviors are annoying to me:

* I have observed the behavior that if ships break contact within the tatical map because of visablity (thus the visibility is far less than a 'hex') the ships are placed at the center of the hex(?) as a united task force for the next contact. The situation was that a division of a TS squadron made to to zeebrugue while the other divsion was about 20000 meters away when contact broke. A force finds the other divsion and the force at zeebrugee is teleported out. Forcing me to maneuver the forces once again for safety. I think I understand that reforming task forces after battles would be a nightmare for users, but maybe an option to "reform task force after the battle," or make that the default and have a button to "leave ships in current location"

* I still think a point should be reached where the AI abandons the guns to save the ship rather than make a last ditch stand. But at least I know the philosophy of SES and will adjust my play to assume that a sinking ship still requires attention to keep down accurate fire.

* I set area patrol for my Zep's and I have found the balloons taking a Sunday stroll over France. Let the Army use Albatros planes to patrol the front lines ! Maybe allow the user to select an area or enter vectors (between X to Y degrees for Z thousand meters). I like allowing a mouse select over an area to patrol.

* When I click on a ship and it zooms in -- the screen always turns toward a profile of the ship, which always involves readjusing the screen to make a change of course possible. It is very annoying

Ok back to fighting the war ...

Last edited by crackaces; 02-05-11 at 12:06 PM.
crackaces is offline   Reply With Quote