View Single Post
Old 12-18-16, 02:36 PM   #2
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Default .NetFramework versions

I pointed out in my first post, that those of you who had Windows 7, 8, 8.1 installed on your computer before updating to Windows 10 may have had some differences in your install compared to mine. My Win10 install came from a stand alone CD due to the fact that my last operating system was Vista. I found that when Windows 10 isn't upgraded from a previous version (newer than Vista), the older NET Framework editions (v3.5, 3.0, 2.0) are not installed, nor are they "Enabled" in Windows 10! I can't personally verify that an upgraded version of Win10 from one of the earlier Windows versions actually brings with it the older NET Framework editions (if you had them to begin with) so.....it's important to know what versions of NET Framework your system has. I showed you how to check for yourself if you have them or not in the first post of this thread.

Since I know my Windows 10 does not include the older versions of NET Framework (which many times only works with the older games/programs), I thought I'd show you the process of how I got them, and how to enable them.....all at the same time.

I found this answer on Microsoft's site:

As the instructions state, click the Windows Logo (the old Start Button) with the "R" key at the same time. Type appwiz.cpl onto the "Run" text box. This will take you to the Programs and Features page:

Mouse click the "Turn Windows features on or off". This will bring up the following page.....On my Windows 10, the NET Framework 4.6 was partially "enabled". The NET Framework 3.5 (includes NET 2.0, 3.0) was not:

I check marked the v3.5 heading, not adding any of the sub menu items. I had previously read from a Microsoft answer that the sub menu items are mainly for programmers:

Clicked the "OK" button. Windows "Automatic Update" kicked in, downloading and installing the necessary files. When it was all done I was asked to restart my computer. Upon checking my "Registry" (instructions in first post of this thread) I found my computer now had the older versions of .NetFramework installed and enabled.

This is so important to know......Windows 10 DOES NOT give you these older .NetFramework versions. You have to separately add them to your system and "enable" them for your older programs to work!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-10-18 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Updated instructions
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote