View Single Post
Old 01-10-20, 02:36 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT
I'm not sure how link the image from there!
TAA DAAAAA! type S-37 (SS-142) laid down in 1918: on patrol till scrapped in 1945!! photo appears to be Lt James C. Dempsey (on left: navy cross/rear adm ret.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_C._Dempsey <USS S-37 (SS-142), on the THIRD War Patrol of that submarine during the month of February 1942, in enemy controlled waters of the Makassar Strait. During a night surface attack against a division of Japanese destroyers on 8 February 1942, Lieutenant Dempsey, the Commanding Officer, attacked a Japanese convoy, torpedoing and sinking the destroyer Natsushiro. In this action the ship became the first U.S. submarine ever to sink an enemy destroyer. my guess is these boats were not designed as 'fleet' boats( as with Gato/Balaos) and the 'cross bracket' looks to be a nav-light bracket when in routine service; the horseshoe is for luck??(I'm clueless)...they didn't call S type submarines 'pigboats' fer nuthin!S-37 lies off Imperial Beach Ca and is a (dangerous) scuba dive site.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-10-20 at 02:53 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote