View Single Post
Old 03-08-08, 07:42 AM   #9
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Payware? Oh, sry. They have to "recoup any development costs, and fund future flight sim developments.". RRRRRrriiiiiight. Giving the mod for free this long and then make few new features and make it payware is just bollocks.
I have to echo Dowly's sentiments here. If they had the license too and had bought the source code etc for this then I could accept them wanting to charge. When MODS and this is what it is a MOD and a very well done one are then becoming payware I find it quite disgusting. You mod for the love of it.

I could turn around and start charging for and GFX mods I make for DW and SC as I want to recoup the time I put in.

I'll give a good example and that is Full Canvas Jacket mod for RBII 3D. Sure he made new models etc and hacked the code, AFAIK he didn't have access to the source code. This is what will kill the modding community.

A perfect example of a good way is EECH mods after Razorworks released the sourcecode. Arneh and a bunch have turned EECH from an ageing but good sim into a brillian one. Compare it to EECH2 where the rights to the code was bought and the cockup they made.