View Single Post
Old 05-25-15, 11:05 AM   #4889
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

January 1943. Launched U-211 from Bergen. Assigned to AN64.

January 24, 1943 picked up radar detection from airplanes. Dived to 20 meters -- about as deep as I could go. AN64 is quite shallow. Came up for air an hour later and as I got another radar detection, my 1WO reminded me that our boat, which is equipped with the best anti-air guns available, had been ordered to stay on the surface and fight it out.

So we did. We turned tail and kicked it up to full speed. That's when I realized that I had no one skilled at flak guns. So I did what I could. We took some damage from a near-miss on a bomb, but we shot a Halifax down. It took me about half an hour to stop the leaks and we went back to scope depth and north out of AN64. The exact extent of the damage is hard to assess.

I then took a long route around to northern Ireland. I got notifications of various convoys, but they were all headed into Liverpool and in shallow waters. No way I was going to make it there.

February 2. It was raining heavily so I went back to scope depth and headed west. After a few hours I got notification of a cargo ship closing. I marked its approximate location on the map and we watched it carefully for 6½ minutes. Approximate speed: 6 knots. Heading... eastish. Then I checked the gauges and saw that my CO2 was over 2.0. We surfaced to vent and that's when I realized that another cargo ship was following behind me. It immediately started to zigzag and opened fire.

I just kept my stern on him till I had vented completely, dove to 25m, and turned to 5º to intercept my primary target. At 1500m I went to scope depth and got a visual on both targets. The primary target was much larger, so I continued the attack. At about 1200m I fired a two-torpedo salvo (T3s), scoring two hits and sinking it immediately. We estimate it at 6780 tons.

We loaded two more submerged, surfaced, and are continuing our patrol. I am relieved to say that the wind is about 15 m/s (sea 6) and so we are not manning the flak guns. I hope no more aircraft show up.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote