View Single Post
Old 06-06-17, 01:03 PM   #52
PL_Harpoon
Engineer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
I haven't gotten it yet myself, but to address the issues some players are having with maintaining depth control. There haven't been a lot of games that give the player control over the control surfaces of a submarine, even less that accurately portray the physics of sub driving. Pulling from personal experience driving an Ohio Class SSBN(trainer and real) and being in a 688 trainer. When driving, think Newton and his laws of physics. An object in motion remains in motion unless acted on by another force. So if you plane upwards to get to PD, you'll need to arrest that upward force by planing down. The more you use, the sooner you'll have to counter the ships movement as well. The less planes you use initially will mean having to use less planes to counter. Same is also true with the rudder. When turning you'll have to swing the rudder in the opposite direction to stop on the course that you want. I believe that can be seen in SC and DW if you order a course and watch the rudder angle indicator.
That's actually a good technique in the game. Sure, if you level your planes after a dive you will eventually stop descending but if you instead go full up the boat will level much quicker. It's not fully newtonian physics but it's a good thing as you'd need analogue controls and close attention to every turn.
PL_Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote