Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
I’ll play with it thanks.
Thank you too!

Quote:
Are you saying you don’t see lines on your pc?
After enabling my last patch I don't. Neither looking through bino's nor in free camera view, no matter distance/magnification levels.

Quote:
If not, what on my graphics card would cause that? I would have no clue?
Well, that might require a long explanation.

For each terrain type, eight trees are stacked one on top of the other in the same texture. Where one tree ends, the next tree starts. In theory the demarcation between a tree and the next one should be sharp, but in practice some blending happens in game. The lines you see on top of the trees, are actually a tiny portion of stem of other trees.

On my computer, this blending mostly happened when I looked at trees from very close range (that's why I thought that the glitch could be ignored); what I did with my patch was "clipping" the very top of each tree, thus removing the lines blended on it.
Nnetheless, I think that in your case the problem comes from the mipmaps; that might explain the fact that you only see those tiny lines when you look at trees from a certain distance. Mipmaps are calculated automatically and, depending on the resampling method used, some shading happens. That worsens the in-game blending, making the lines you see at long range, thicker than they were on my computer. The shading is so faint, that the shaded lines are considered transparent by my video card, but not by your one. The difference might be caused by a bunch of factors, but I think making a comparison between different gfx cards would be a waste of time.
What matters here is finding a compromise that will work with all the cards.

One solution could be re-saving my textures, but using a sharper re-sampling method, or editing the contrast of their alpha (opacity) channels so that a bigger portion of them will result black (=transparent). This approach would have two con's though: each terrain type features four tree textures (one per season); multiply this number times three (one main resolution plus two optional resolutions), times six (number of vegetation/terrain types I have modelled so far), that makes 72 textures that I would need to edit. Moreover, a sharper opacity mask might mean a poorer texture quality, especially for the smaller mipmaps.

The other fix is "cutting" a bigger portion of texture from the top of each tree. Which is exactly what I asked you to test. I am sorry, but since I don't have your same glitch, I need your help for fixing it
gap is offline   Reply With Quote