View Single Post
Old 04-13-19, 08:40 PM   #474
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default Graphics

Here is the first draft for the 3 eyepiece observation scope on old boats.
The overall image composition is inspired by UJag's Old periscope mod from many many years ago.

This graphic is done in Inkscape ( much like Corel Draw or Illustrator-- a vector-based graphics program).

Again, it is only a first draft....

As mentioned.... SHIII doesn't really simulate 3-eyepiece periscopes well.

So, we compromise, like what is shown in the old UJag Mod or the wonderful efforts of OLC / ACM authors.

In the old scope you had a crosshair on one lens for general observation. Another eyepiece was to get a graphic representation of scale and aspect of the target (which is this coloured graphic)... then another eyepiece for the stadimeter (which also is hard to represent in SHIII).

In the game, this colour graphic would appear when you activate the AOB wheel or whatever the gray circular slide rule is called. (The greats: UJag, OLC,AMC and Manos were able to show this well).

THESE are great teaching tools to learn about the ratio of height and width of a ship as it pertains to distance and angle on the bow. The knowledge I gained from all these mods over the years was what made me really good with the Hitman mods later which had none of this; which, represented newer scopes after the war started.

Again, the goal of this current effort:
1. The super high resolution of Ahnenerbe Wide Screen made the lower resolution graphics in the old mods obsolete.
2. From my work, one can convert the vector graphics to high resolution TGA files for use in mods

Modders will have tools available to use as they see fit.

When I am done with all the scope reticules I will zip them up into a package and upload them.

As time permits maybe I can create a few different packages that work in JMGME. But, I am at the lower end skill of that. We are talking training wheels.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote