View Single Post
Old 07-27-13, 10:14 PM   #72
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Just to be sure check the top of the barrel between the front sight post and the flash suppressor. There should be an inscription that should say:

C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR

If you got that you are all set to use either .223 or 5.56
Yup, it's there. Thank-you!

Quote:
The 8 rounder of the M1 did make topping off very tricky because you had to prop the rifle on your leg and use both hands to hold the bolt open and and bullets while also holding the the clip in the magazine.The US Army combat manual actually advised that when preparing for an assault or when needing to have a fresh magazine in the M1 the user was to fire off the remaining rounds in the magazine until the clip was ejected and then load another 8 round clip into the magazine.I think that entire feature was John Garands little bit of engineering that he thought was unique (which it was) and he clung to that feeling it was ideal and not really thinking about some of the impracticality in the field that such a design can bring up.
I know the 8rd. clip has been much criticized, but I think these criticisms have been overblown. Yes, topping off a M-1 takes longer, than with a Mauser, Arisaka, or Springfield, but gives you a faster reload, not to mention 3 extra rounds. Also, the en-bloc clip is a very efficient way to carry ammunition. The clips add very little in weight or bulk; much less than with box magazines. Also, the magazine is in the rifle, where it is unlikely to suffer damage. External magazines get bumped and bruised; sometimes reliability suffers. The Johnson system is not a bad idea, but I would still pick the M-1 for the fast reloading.

Here is a little bit of firearms history many may not know. The M-1 Garand was originally approved for adoption in .276 Pedersen caliber. It was selected over the Pedersen Rifle in the same caliber. Then, the Army Chief of Staff, General MacArthur, disapproved the report, stating there would be no change in the service cartridge. John C. Garand had to hastily redesign the rifle in .30 caliber. The .276 Garand had a 10 round capacity and was lighter. It met all Army requirements and only had about 60 parts, fewer than the Springfield '03. I kind of think the .276 Garand would have been an even better service rifle.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote