Old 07-27-13, 02:56 PM   #69
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
800$ at my local gun shop.

They're very nice rifles. My friend's Dad has one and he's been telling me for 2 years now that we're going to go shooting...but he has work all the time...being a cop and all...

They should be a lot cheaper they only made several million of them but everyone wants the M1 Garand (never was that interested myself in them).

I do have an SVT-40 just as good of a weapon actually better having a better magazine which was the biggest drawback of the M1 and not because of the ping and the myth that US troops got killed when the ping was heard.As if you would even hear that in the heat of combat if you where stupid enough to expose yourself when you heard the ping anyway you would get shot by everyone else that still had rounds left.In combat your enemy tries to get on your flanks whilst you are distracted and then kills you the condition of your weapons has little effect on this tactic because he should not know that you are flanking him until you engage at which point he is overwhelmed unless he has outstanding NCOs and tact and has a lot of luck.

The 8 rounder of the M1 did make topping off very tricky because you had to prop the rifle on your leg and use both hands to hold the bolt open and and bullets while also holding the the clip in the magazine.The US Army combat manual actually advised that when preparing for an assault or when needing to have a fresh magazine in the M1 the user was to fire off the remaining rounds in the magazine until the clip was ejected and then load another 8 round clip into the magazine.I think that entire feature was John Garands little bit of engineering that he thought was unique (which it was) and he clung to that feeling it was ideal and not really thinking about some of the impracticality in the field that such a design can bring up.

Last edited by Stealhead; 07-27-13 at 03:09 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote