Old 12-04-19, 04:55 PM   #11
Preacher55
Nub

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Welcome to SubSim Preacher55

As to modding, a "mega mod" is actually easier to deal with, if you like what all it does, just because it is an all-in-one package. Everything is "balanced", if you will. A mod like "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" (FotRSU) (in my opinion ) is excellent for beginner or expert player. The "base" mod as it stands is probably for the most part, easier than Stock, though there are enemy platforms that can shoot torpedoes back at you, in addition to anything else from small arms all the way up to over 18" cannons... But there are lots of sound mod changes in the FotRSU mod, as well as a "pretty" environment. If you are not wanting anything for the graphics, then THEBERBSTER's update of Webster's GFO (Game Fixes Only) mod is the way to go, since they did some audio changes also. See "THEBERBSTEES All In One Beginners Mega Mod List" - which would also be considered a "mega mod", but is even more user-friendly than FotRSU. Plus, THEBERBSTER is about the nicest person on this site...

As for smaller mods, I am not familiar with most of those anymore, and have to cede to others with more knowledge on those. Just be aware, that for a mod to "take" on a newer, "modern" OS (anything newer than Windows Vista), that you cannot have your game installed in a Windows "Program Files" folder, which would include the "Program Files (x86)" folder, due to Windows restrictions and "protection" of the system. Any "unauthorized" edits in the folder are rolled-back to the previous state, so the older games and utilities like SH4 and JSGME are not considered as "authorized", just due to their age. This is another reason you have to install DirectX v9.0c and the codecs, along with the game, even though you might be using DirectX12. The older games need a couple of the dll files from the older version... You want to create your own folder, outside of the "Program Files" folders for SH4 to install into. If you have a Steam version, see "Moving a Steam Installation and Games"

Thank you kindly - that was exactly the information I needed. Downloading the last recommendation for now. Did I read on another thread that once a mod is installed, it wont be applied until a new career campaign is initiated...and will not go into effect in a "load game" from a previously begun campaign or career? I just made it to the Jap coast and hate to start over....
Preacher55 is offline   Reply With Quote