View Single Post
Old 07-20-10, 12:44 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoramsaig View Post
Last Night I was trolling around Tanksim, new to the site and wanting to tap the community while waiting on T34 vs Tiger. Then it happened! I found "Steel Beast Pro" Holy Cow! It was listed at $100.00 and I need information on it, Is Pro the top of the line modded game?
It is the most superior tank simulation with focus on the term simulation that you can get. It was designed as a training tool for armed forces and later was made available to the civilian public (both versions are to an extremely wide degree identical). Almost one dozen Western armies use it for training purposes, the Australians have equipped all their tankers with free copies of it. How good it is you can see in the fact that professional customers pay around 15000 dollars for a classroom network license with 8 or 10 seats. The developer characterises it as a simulator of mechanised warfare on platoon, company and batallion level. Focus are on MBTs, IFVs, APCs. Infantry currently is a compromise, so are air units. The sim is relatively easy to handle in the cockpits, but difficult to master on the planning and tactics side of things. As an ex-tabker, you should recognise the needs the sim confronts you with.

Since you have a background in the real tank army, you should be able to appreciate what SBP has to offer. It competes with the great hardware simulators of the military by extremely aggressve pricing - and it does a lot of things better than the hardware cabins, insiders say. Just understand that the shape it is in and the vehicles it offers, to 90% is because the military customers wanted it this way and were willing to pay for it. That is the reason why there are so many versions of the Leopards, but only one version of the Abrams, for example - the Abrams does not sell well, the Leopards are export hits. A gamer's desires has only limited influence on the developement of SBP. If the milizary does not want a feature and pays for it, chances are that it does not get implemented, or gets implemented only with long delays.

In the past I have posted quite some material on SBP, threads as well as the screenshot and the resources sticky. The latter also has a chapter on how to emulate WWII-combat environment with SBP. The stickies are on top of the forum list.Threads oiu can find via the search function.

If modern tanks is your thing and you are not fixiated on WWII, there is no way you get around SBP. If you are into online group playing, SBP is a must. It is said to be running extremely stable

Do not wait for SBP-2. It is told about, rumoured about, planned for, and it most likely is still years away - if it ever gets realised. It is planned to be a SBP-PE more designed for the demands of the typical gaming market.

If you consider buying it, wait until second half of August. A new version is currently being released, scheduled for 21st august, if I get it correctly.

check the SBP resources sticky, plenty of good stuff hidden in there.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-20-10 at 12:55 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote