View Single Post
Old 01-19-23, 07:57 AM   #5252
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
PB, You and I have had a running discussion on conning tower upgrades for several years now. One of the things that got lost in the conversation a month ago is the fact that while I was driving the Argonaut, we received two conning tower upgrades. The only noticeable difference in my career with the Argo and my previous careers with various boats when no upgrade was received is that I kept my mission score deliberately below 3. And…..I made all boats Class=0 so that there was no possibility of upgrading to a new boat.
Mission Score, Career Rating, Renown Total, etc. None of that matters, only the orange text above in the quote of your post. So long as the player has enough points, and there are no available boat upgrades, then you MIGHT get a new conning tower. There is still a "roll of the dice" involved. But there is almost always a chance for a new boat before there is a chance for a conning tower.

The player should not have to wonder whether they are going to get a new boat, nor whether they will get a new conning tower. It should not be an either/or situation, but a player choice. This is what was good about the SH3 system, in that you purchased your new turm, though people complained because they couldn't earn enough renown for the new turm. What ~SHOULD~ happen in SH4, is that when a player comes in from patrol, and their boat's turn for a new conning tower comes up by date, they should get the new conning tower, whether they have an Excellent, or Poor Rating, shouldn't matter. The player should be given the choice of whether to take a new boat or keep their old one, but should never have to worry about getting their covered wagon cut on a Gato in 1943. Unfortunately, the game does not work like that without intervention such as you're attempting. But a normal player shouldn't have to edit his Save files to get proper functionality, which the editing can be detrimental to the game functioning properly, and is advised against, besides losing the possibility of a new boat altogether with the UpgradeClass edit.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote