View Single Post
Old 07-02-10, 03:44 PM   #1468
RegioSommergibile
Seaman

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I am now on the 5th of January 1940 heading to my assigned patrol zone in BF29, way off Cornwall. Starting from Wilhelmshaven, Kaleun Lothar Allgau's Type VIIIB has travelled many hours along the Ostfriesen islands, the entered Dutch waters and passed in front of a Dutch port (I am using GWX and just 55% realism, with automatic targeting, yes I'm noob...). At night, I gave a casual look and to my surprise there was a Large Merchant flying French flag docked. I silently positioned myself and with two eels I literally snapped it in two. The Royal Dutch Navy coastal batteries took a couple of shots at me, but they did no harm to me. I continued and sank, in French coastal waters, an armed trawler with a well placed eel. It was most curious as it hit the screws and the power was such that it made a big leap forward and immedialtely started sinking. Along the Channel I came across a British Coastal freghter and this also went to say hello to Neptune with 3 torpedoes (one hit and two miss) followed by some cannon work.

Then, one more (and last aft) eel to greet a Coastal Freighter showing French flag off Cherbourg. I sneaked in the port there and sank with my rear tubes something I can't remember at the moment.

My men whooped and jumped in joy, but I said sternly to them to be quiet and keep the Boot on course as we had to go away avoiding Grenouilles patrols. We went on uneventfully until we were 300 miles from our patrol zone, down to a single torpedo in my rear tubes. Not good. I kept thinking: what if we get into trouble?

A call from the watch officer makes Kaleun Allgau jump to the bridge and press his eyes on the binoculars. And surely enough, at starboard, he seel lots, lots lots of smoke trails and a DD that spotted das Boot already. Flinging himself down the ladder the commander shouts "Seerohrtiefe, SOFORT LEUTE!!" (Periscope depth, NOW PEOPLE!) After some frantic moments das Boot goes to periscope depth and the sonarman comes up with the dreaded warning "Kriegschiff kommt naher"

Ow ow ow ow!!! TAUCHEN!!! I don't want it to see my periscope or hear me. We went down to 80 metres, silent running naturally on, and we could hear the wasserbomben landing not too far. I let the destroyer go over me, meanwhile slowly surfacing, and then went to periscope depth, raised the seerohr praying that the seamen on board became suddely and inexplicably blind, and surely enough he was neatly lined up heading away from me for a bow shot at 1400 metres.

Then real life kicked in as mobile phone started ringing, and afterwards dinner was ready. I am resuming now, let' see if I can send that thing to keep company to Neptune as well. ;-)

Ah, one question: if I manage to evade and reach, say, Ireland, can I resupply at one of their ports?
RegioSommergibile is offline   Reply With Quote