View Single Post
Old 02-11-10, 12:20 PM   #753
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCar View Post
That's how it was for me at first, but a couple weeks after I started playing, I got really good at it. Now I never use manual targeting, and I think my record for distance is a single-torpedo kill on a passenger cargo at a distance of 4000m.

It's definitely worth sticking with it until you can do it – it's way more rewarding!

I strongly recommend using the fixed-wire method to get the target's speed for your solution, by the way. I only do the 3m15s plotting thing when overhauling now, but it's rarely necessary – I usually just sail towards my hydrophone contact, spot it, and overhaul outside their visual range). Using the fixed-wire method gives you a very, very accurate speed reading on your target, and most importantly, it gives it to you immediately before you maneuver to fire.
Until now I have found ships. Sea is calm. I come from astern. I take a lot of time to identify ships. Sometimes I go around the book 4/5 times before I found the good ship. I pause the game so I can set the height using the mast, then speed. I see my depth to 3/4 of the ship's depth.

I try to get within 1 km or so. But then, the ship goes in front of the sub quite fast so I don't have much time. I calculate the distance again, the speed usually did not change so it's just distance and AoB. To calculate the AoB I go to the map, use the protactor so I can calculate the AoB. I set everything and when I check, the torpedo has the good settings.

I shoot, and all the time the torpedo either goes too much to the left and misses the ship or it goes too much in front. I have done 3 patrols, and spent my time shooting salvos of 2 torpedoes and seeing all of them miss.

And I got no clue in how you can make a torpedo hit anywhere but at the middle of the ship.
Gilbou is offline   Reply With Quote