View Single Post
Old 04-19-19, 09:10 AM   #53
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
With nose trimmed down the plane accelerates from gravity. The proper thing to do is reduce throttle to keep speeds from destroying the airframe.
You do realise that AND trim doesn't mean the plane is pointing down? Check the preliminary report, the aircraft was flying slightly nose up or at level for most of the flight until MCAS pointed it down.

Quote:
Absolutely false.
Quote:
The Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control law was designed and certified for the 737 MAX to enhance the pitch stability of the airplane – so that it feels and flies like other 737s.
From: https://www.boeing.com/commercial/73...e-updates.page
Due to the way the engines are placed and being bigger makes the MAX nose up at speed, which is why the MCAS system was put in place to counter that. In other words, it's a band aid.

As for Mentour Pilot's video; since his Q&A videos seem to have been removed from his channel I can't verify, but from what I remember he removed the video because it was indeed speculation, but I don't recall him calling it factually wrong. It does show what pilots, who know what is going on, can do to try recover from the situation. In that they failed, because the manual trim was so hard to use even at <340kts speed.

He also mentioned in the now removed Q&A video that he made the video to show what the situation must have been in the cockpit because he didn't like how people (like you) put the blame on the pilots.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote