View Single Post
Old 09-21-05, 01:23 PM   #6
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

I am very happy to hear that you are using the mod regularly for MP games! That, in itself, is reward enough for creating the mod.

For the torpedo feedback, if you would like me to give you the instructions on how to restore it for the version you use, I would be happy to do so, or create a database specificially for MS.

In regards to the torpedo passive seeker ranges, due to the specific geometry of torpedo seekers and the overall lack of surface area for a wide sound sensing membrane, the active sonars tend to have longer effective ranges due to the fact that it is amplified sound being returned, and the sensor of the torpedo can be tuned to be sensitive to that ping frequency only, whereas with passive sensors you are stuck with Broadband returns to a realitively limited sensor cone, which tends to create much less focused returns and thus bearing ambiguity at greater ranges.

Amizaur is the one who is most responsible for the torpedo seeker changes, so he knows much more about their RL and in game function than I do. The torpedo passive sensor will completely washout above 40kts, and, under that, be much more sensitive to loud contacts, such as heavy surface vessles, than submarines or even the OHP FFG, making passive torpedos generally a very poor choice against modern subs, both in RL and in the mod.

This information is largely pieced together, but I hope you have found it helpful.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Cheers,
David