View Single Post
Old 03-15-08, 10:37 PM   #450
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

Since in the 3D animation for video world the obj format is very popular (thanks to wavefront) it's what many people think of first.

Game models require a LOT more info because all hinges, inverse kinematics, texture settings, etc need to be fed to the game engine. Plus the plygon normals need to be numbered the same way (waiting for the day cards can render b-splines as fast as polygons).

This is one of the reasons gmax was developed. You needed to export more info for games than 3DStudio did at that time. Some of the bigger name 3D programs either have add-ons you buy for game modelling, or tools are developed in house to to accomplish this.

Even Blender has a "game" export feature for this reason.

From what I read, Collada is designed to fill the gap between a 3D program for rendering to video and exporting those models to games and create a universal exchange format for doing so.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10

Last edited by swdw; 03-16-08 at 10:44 AM.
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote