minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggulus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggulus
Now I have to melt my German version of Vista and the English commands..
Hi minsc_tdp,

atm I'm changing the voice_commands.csv to check how it is possible to translate the commands. For an example, I want to change "4,Bridge,Bridge" to "4,Bridge,Brücke". But it's not recognizing. Instead I have to say "4,Bridge,Brucke". Is there a possibility to get umlauts working?

F.
I would guess that's because the English recognizer is still running. If German is set up properly in Vista, umlauts should be recognized just fine. I wouldn't rely on the English recognizer for words like "brucke", even though it sort-of works, that's not an English word so it wouldn't be optimized for that. It just made a guess based on the phonetics and maybe happened to work, but I wouldn't think it would be very reliable.

In Vista:
Control Panel
Search for "speech" in the upper-right bar
Click Speech Recognition Options
Click Advanced speech options (upper left)
Under Language, what is selected? Should be v8.0 German. If not, and it's not selectable in the list, you may have to install some kind of add-on pack.

According to this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/speech/spee...evarticle.mspx
"Windows Vista includes in all editions our latest speech recognition engine, version 8.0. Available in US English , UK English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. The engine is included with the corresponding Windows Vista language. Users can install multiple languages by purchasing Windows Multilingual User Interface Packs."

So that sounds like it should be included with the language you have installed, if Vista itself is actually German (and not an English vista with some German stuff installed into it), it should already be German. What happens if you start the windows speech recognizer widget from control panel and say "start listening"? What if you say "fangen Sie an zu hören" or however you would say that in German? What if you say "start wordpad" or "anfang Wordpad"? Which works?

If so your German recognizer is working fine, it could be an umlaut/unicode/script problem, but before I dive into it I'd like to hear that the above is working right.

I'm not sure how I can test that without installing German Vista, which I can't do easily (maybe at work... lots of test machines... but I'd rather not.)