View Single Post
Old 11-29-05, 11:03 PM   #24
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
All publicly available sources report 8-10km.

I'd be interested to see what a couple of thousands of dollars worth of defense intelligence subscription access will get you. So let me know.
I'm as curious as you are. I use globalsecurity.org and fas.org frequently at work, when I just want to do something quick, but I've also learned not to trust it with my life either.

They're all probably quoting each other. It's as if we all got in a circle, one of us told the person in front of us the range was 8-10km, and then that person told the next person, etc. Then, when it got back to the first person he said, "See! I'm right! That guy said it was 8-10km too!"

The thing is, I'm wondering where the heck they got 8-10km anyhow, because really the range of a missile can vary considerably based on launch speed, altitude, etc.

The other thing I'm wondering is, if that IS in fact a good unclass range estimate, nobody in their right mind would plan stake the defense of their nation on a missile they'll never get close enough to use. Clearly, other loadouts are likely for the ASuW mission. So, the next thing is to find out what other anti-ship cruise missiles the SU-24 is capable of carrying according to unclass sources.

EDIT:

AH HA! The SU-24 can carry the AS-11 super-sonic cruise missile which according to FAS has a range of 120km. Too bad it's not modelled. *growl*
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote