View Single Post
Old 12-20-20, 03:23 PM   #174
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0
Default Windows 10 the "latest" build and SH4 new install from scratch.

I'm working with the FOTRSU team in order to help de-bug certain features and I decided to un-install Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific and do a clean re-install from scratch. I do have archived complete installations of SH4 updated to v1.5 so, what could go wrong?

On my first try, I was able to get SH4 v1 reinstalled from my legacy CD. I was unable, however, to get the SH4 v1.4 patch and the SH4 v1.5 U Boat Missions executables to "execute." The Windows 10 Overseer invisible administrator would not allow me to execute either patch. It was telling me that "This app has been blocked for your (my) protection. An ADMINISTRATOR has blocked you (me) from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator."
I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR and I'm attempting to run the patches "as administrator!

No matter, I have my archived copies, so all went well. When I started SH4, it did require me to activate my v1.5 U Boat Missions for which I had the key.

I'm a "tinkerer". I keep trying. While I was doing some other tinkering within a multi-SH4 folder, I came across another executable which popped up the same information as above. I'm thinking, what the hell, I used to be able to execute this applet.

I started tinkering around and ended up using Large Address Aware on the applet and it worked. So....

I decided to have another go around to install SH4 from scratch. I uninstalled SH4, then used CCleaner to clean up my registry files etc., did a restart and proceeded to re-install SH4, this time with v1.4 and v1.5 patches made Large Address Aware compatible. Lo and behold it worked! I no longer got the Windows 10 Overseer Invisible Administrator error messages when executing these treated .exe files.
Just for kicks, I tried to execute an untreated copy of the v1.4 patch and the Windows 10 mother-in-law would not let me...

So, the next time you un-install and re-install a fresh copy of SH4 from scratch, using the original CD, the v1.4 patch and the v1.4 U Boat Missions, treat them with the LAA first. It worked for me. This fix will probably work for other legacy apps and applets which are blocked for your (my) own protection.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote