View Single Post
Old 11-05-07, 11:21 PM   #18
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
SB1 has unrealistic thermals, without range limit, and no degrading of quality over range. SBP has corrected that, and is said to be much closer to the truth. The templates for the heat signatures of vehicles also have repeatedly been worked over. Thermals in SBP give you much degraded and blurry pics than in SB1.
Oh, didn't knew that. But for SB1 it was maybe a good workaround for the bad resolution.

Quote:
I think the high end things can spot a human size thermal source up to 2 kilometers away.

Depends on the contrast of the background. If it is cool air, you see more, if it is ground clutter or woods, you maybe don't see a tank from frontal that sits 1000m away.
Hmm, I just remember that footage where police copters or ground observation stations use the highly sensetive thermal vision devices leaving any suspect chanceless no matter in which terrain. Devices that can make temperature differences of 0.5 degree visible. But then I also remember some images, I think from the apache where the performance appeared to me rather crappy. But I think the quality of the device plays a major role. I don't know which quality level various military branches can effort. There are this standart night vission goggles for soldiers with a crappy visual range of maybe 300 meters whereas super expensive night vision devices have a very long range and cristal clear optics.

Quote:
Yes I also tend to preffer the Leo. Exept when it maybe gets to T-80isch, or else when I expect to get alot of beating, then I want the M1

that's because you do not have the 2A5 in SB1, only the 2A4 less armour.
Of course. How much more armour do the 2A5 have compared to the 2A4 and the M1A1 ?

As far as I can remember the M1A2 has twice the armour of the M1A1m is that right ?

Quote:
I know but was just wondering why only leased and that the germans lease their tanks at all. I guess its too hot for buying

No, it was lacking production capacity. The tanks could not be deliverd so soon and in the quantity the Candians wished to buy them. So they leased 20 already existing new 2A6m from the BW, and bought 80 old 2A4 from BW reserves. It also was a nice way out for the Germans not to contribute more heavily to the actual battle groups with BW troops. Like the Tornados. Politically, the leasing deal as well as the Tornados are serving as alibis. But that belongs to the GT forum.
Maybe the sales rate of the 2A6 will beat the one of the donut at the end of the day ? :hmm:
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote