Thread: Lock down fun
View Single Post
Old 03-25-20, 08:32 AM   #71
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

I've got a model building project I've been working on for a couple of years, now.

I call this "the impossible Peterbilt" because the basic kit has been around for a long time. I managed to find the kit on Amazon at a pretty fair price but I already knew there would be many challenges.

Like I said, the basic kit had been around for a long time (its actually a Pete 379 that was equipped for heavy haul loads) and Revel (Germany) had kept the molds in a basement somewhere. The molds have been worn out for quite some time and Revel would just re-release the kit when they felt like it. Really, every part has molding flaws (dirt and dust in the molds) that meant each part required filing, sanding, and polishing.

The kit was well designed but it was well designed in Germany. Meaning, things like engine and running gear detail look great, but they are wrong for an American truck. Luckily, AMT re-released their old school Peterbilt 359 so I snagged one to donate parts.

There were other challenges that cropped up during the pre-building phase. The interior of the cab and sleeper came out better than I had hoped (the bunk features a really nifty Mexican blanket and some cabinets I re-purposed from other kits plus a neat coffee maker) and it got me to thinking, which is always dangerous.
What if I added a driver figure and maybe a passenger? That meant finding the right figures and re-learning how paint them.

So, fast forward and things aren't built but many of the sub-assemblies are ready for paint. The engine and running gear are quite detailed and accurate for a "working truck". Things like the "fifth wheel" trailer coupler can actually move like the real article and there's even a trailer or two to hook to the truck. Hoses, air lines, and chains are ready. Tires and wheels are ready. The opening doors have been re-designed with working photoetched piano hinges and small magnets to hold them closed.
I finally decided on painting the cab and sleeper in a light blue metallic, overall, to give it a 1980's look and now its down to a decision I keep fighting with. Paint the frame rails semi-gloss black or in a darker "utility" blue?

Really, I can't decide.

Thanks to the lock down the kit is now staring at me, as if its saying "Well, get on with it already!".

ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote