View Single Post
Old 01-05-23, 07:42 PM   #4929
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
The House of Representatives is responsible for the election of the Speaker of the House. This is provided by the United States Constitution, as per Article I, Section 2. The Speaker of the House of Representatives are elected every subsequent time a new House is to convene for the first time.

It may be unusual that it didn’t happen on the first vote but certainly doesn’t make it bizarre. It’s a system that’s been in place for a few hundred years now. Speakers are voted in by their peers not appointed or assumed as if by magic. Even Pelosi’s nomination for speaker was at one time in question.

I’m sure there is plenty of wheelin’ and dealin’ and jockeying for position going on.

Drama
Its outdated, like the whole election system is. all those holy rules may have made sense in the ciotnext fo the times they were created in, but the context has chnaged while the world and the times have changed. Its petrified ritual.

Read Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake, then you know where it leads: hollowed out ceremonies and petrified rituals.
(Fantastic and bizarr and humours and artistic gothic novel, btw, read it even if not interested in the political debate, it is not political at all. One of my books for the island list. Do not watch the films, they are terrible).

Add to it that the system already is being intentionalyl derailed and abused for powerpolitical opportunism.

No, its not holy, not everlasting. Nothing man-made ever is. Historic context is key.