View Single Post
Old 08-25-17, 08:23 PM   #12
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller1 View Post
2. Displacement has no effect on passive detection. Only active and not very much.
For clarification, ASPECT has a much greater affect on active sonar returns than anything else. Think of the ship as a piece of paper - if it's flat towards the ship going active, that's a lot of surface area for the sound to reflect from. End on, however, greatly reduces the return.

Quote:
Also, US SSN's do not carry MOSS..
Not anymore - but I think they were a new wonderful thing in the 80's when this is set. If that's the case (haven't looked it up, CBA to do it right now...) then it's still a valid question...

... that I don't have an answer to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller1 View Post
Everyone give the capabilities of the air assets way too much credit.
The active dippers detection ranges are really short and passive is even shorter.
Yes and no. I worked at SOSUS in the PAC side of the house, and we used airborne assets to track boats fairly often. The trick is that they have to know WHERE to look. Basically, we'd pick them up on LF PNB, determine a position to within XXX nm circles, and sick the airdales on them. When they know where to look, they are VERY good at their jobs.

Of course, in this game, they ARE way better than they should be... who's sending them position data? Of course, if you launched a TLAM/TASM/HARPOON then that's a dead give away, but otherwise, they suffer as Shipkiller noted.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote