Old 10-01-21, 05:23 PM   #229
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

10 May 1942
Tavoy airbase threatened

Thailand
The enemy launched a massive air raid against Force Lauren, 24 Sallies back up by 25 Oscars. We opposed it with only 5 Hurricanes and a P-40, but we managed to shoot down 1 Oscar and 6 Sallies without loss. The bombers that made it through were ineffective thanks to the terrain.

Force Lauren has broken contact with the pursuing army, but that may be a mixed blessing. At least some of that army is leaving the road and crossing into the western mountains, headed for Tavoy. I can mirror his movement--and I will--but he may have a few days head start on me. I'm detaching my armor to take the roads the long way around, it'll be faster for them. I can't reinforce directly from Rangoon because of the armies that also crossed the mountains there. I have enough reserve there to protect one or the other, not both. So, in addition to Force Lauren going full defensive, I'm going to purchase that Indian division I was thinking about using for an offensive deeper into Malaya. That's my new Rangoon garrison, which will free up the current forces to reinforce Tavoy. I'm also recalling my British CVBG and covering force. The battleships in particular may be useful if they reach Tavoy through the mountains.

The silver lining in all of this is he's proceeding without supply lines by taking is armies off-roading through the mountains. My troops will be fully supplied at their bases and will have supply lines from Rangoon to sustain them during a battle. Raheng is at some risk of being severed, but even if that happens, I have supply there now, I have an airfield there, and I have several squadrons of transports on reserve in Calcutta just waiting for the word that they're needed. So, assuming he hasn't achieved strategic surprise with his move on Tavoy, there's a potential to cause some serious damage to major land forces here.

Sumatra
We lost 3 Australian Kittyhawks over Palembang to Oscar sweeps. These Aussie pilots aren't as well-trained as their counterparts, sadly. We've added some training squadrons in recent weeks, but the benefit of them hasn't fully kicked in.

Our CVBG and land-based searchplanes failed to locate the ARG landing on Enggano, so no attack took place. That mission will be aborted, as this task force is being recalled to the Bay of Bengal.

Ceram Sea
B-17s from Darwin flew all the way up to the western edge of Papua/New Guinea (with a reduced bomb load) to bomb some cargo ships, and we actually got a hit on one.

SouthPAC
Now a bogey has appeared north of Suva. Instead of sending ships, this time my response will only be airborne. I don't want to get too predictable, especially when I'm reacting to him. He'll be in for seaplanes carrying bombs, B-26s, A-24s, or even P-39s strafing, depending on how close he gets. The seaplane crews aren't trained for naval attacks, though, so I don't expect much from them.

Reinforcements
Repairs completed on CV Lexington at Alameda, ship returned to service (major AA upgrade)
CLAA Atlanta taken out of commission to begin refit at San Francisco (AA upgrade)
SS Pompano begins refit while under repair at Dutch Harbor (radar)
DD Woodworth arrives at San Francisco
SS Grunion arrives at Eastern USA (ugh, long way to go before I can deploy her)
148th Infantry Regiment arrives at San Francisco (full strength, unrestricted. Nice!)
108th RN Base Force arrives at Aden (6% strength, unrestricted)