View Single Post
Old 02-06-22, 08:47 PM   #502
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

3 December 1942
All enemy solders at Foochow eliminated; enemy armies at Moulmien & Raheng routed

China
A heavy cruiser and 2 destroyers shelled my troops at Foochow overnight, causing a few casualties. Much too little, much too late. Some of our P-40s tried to attack one of the cargo ships that were delivering supplies (or maybe now are trying to evacuate troops?) were driven off by a CAP of Zeroes and Oscars; with two each Oscars, Zeroes, and P-40s shot down.

Our army attack finished off the last of what was once four divisions and an aviation support battalion--another 10,000 enemy casualties. I suppose we might not have completely eliminated all of them if a few got on the boats, but even if that happened, these units were all shadows of their former selves when they embarked. We won't be seeing them again.

Burma and Thailand
We fought a bit to control the skies over Moulmein, with him winning--I just don't have enough operational fighters to keep up. We lost a P-40 and a Hurricane with no victories, and his bombers got through unmolested in the afternoon. Ours got through as well, but without any shootdowns by his fighters. So once again, we had mostly offsetting air support. But his troops hadn't recovered from yesterday's shellacking. Our counterattack routed them, chasing them back across the river with an additional 2744 casualties (to our 504) and destroying 110 combat squads and 208 support squads, plus a bunch of equipment. I'd estimate the 4th and 33rd Divisions were at just 25% strength for today's attack, and by destroying the majority of disabled squads and equipment, I think we just locked that number in. It's going to take them so long to get back to normal strength that they're effectively eliminated from the campaign for the foreseeable future.

We also kicked the enemy out of Raheng, although it was apparently only the 15th Army HQ that was left there. Odd, I didn't think they could evacuate in just a day or two, and even if they could why would they leave the HQ behind? Maybe the RTA units were wiped out?

Also, along the northwestern coast, the units we have moving into the region from India caught up with some of the broken troops that once occupied Akyab, and engaged them a bit. That was another 300 enemy casualties.

Banda Sea
The fight over Babar is slowly tipping in the enemy's favor. Today we suffered a significant aerial defeat, failing to fight off a sweep of Nicks, Oscars, and Zeroes. We shot down just one Oscar and a Nick, while losing a P-38, 3 P-40s, and 5 P-39s.

Our airbases are getting overcrowded and what we have isn't getting the job done. The two enemy regiments on Babar are starting to look like actual regiments in strength. We're badly outnumberd and the only thing that's kept the island in our hands has been the constant suppression of the enemy troops by air and sea bombardments, and the enemy surface and air surge is reducing that.

Lex and Sara had been working their way back here, and lucky us, they had subs waiting for us around Horn Island. We didn't get attacked but the subs and our Avengers had mutual detections. I'm sure he can make the inference--he did at Guadalcanal a few days ago. It's starting to look like there's a submarine surge in this area, from Horn Island all the way to Darwin.

East Australia
I'm about 3 days late reporting this, but a troop transport that was damaged in the KB's raid on Noumea months ago was finally repaired enough to try to move it to Sydney. But on the way, it suffered a catastrophic bulkhead failure in the engineering spaces. It's still afloat, but it's taken so much water it can only move at 1 knot. Over the last few days, the flooding's been getting slowly, but progressively worse. I've ordered them to stop at a nearby island, which they should arrive at tomorrow. It will give the crew a chance, hopefully, to dewater the "extra" spaces that flooded (they can't do anything about the huge flooding in engineering) and try again to get to Sydney.

Refits
SS Snook taken out of commission to begin refit at San Francisco

Last edited by Molon Labe; 02-06-22 at 11:05 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote