Old 12-21-21, 09:28 AM   #377
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

8 September 1942
Marines on Canton Island surrender

CENTPAC
Another detachment of ships from the KB -- cruisers and destroyers this time -- shelled Canton Island. The KB hit it with yet another airstrike during the day, and this time, their ground forces followed that with their own attack. Our Marines were so beaten down by several days of bombardment that they didn't have any fight left in them. So that's the end of this operation.

I'm not sure if the lesson from this needs to be that I need to show up with overwhelming force to ensure it's over before the KB get there, or just that I need local sea control before attempting amphibious operations, period.

Espiritu Santo Islands
A pair of cargo ships docked at Luganville. We tried to hit them with A-29s and B-26s but they all missed. I had P-39s assigned to attack at low level but they didn't fly for whatever reason, which is a shame because these guys would have made perfect targets for them. Tomorrow I'll hit them with a fast-reaction force of cruisers and destroyers, hopefully they won't be gone by then.

Sumatra
Our fighters broke through into the bomber formation hitting Palembang, we shot down 8 Sallies and a Zero with no losses.

South China Sea
USS Spearfish torpedoed and sank an enemy cargo ship off the west coast of Luzon.

Bay of Bengal
I'm aborting the Port Blair mission. We got picked up by scoutplanes, and when I checked everything this time I realize I forgot to consider one of the nearby enemy bases when determining whether this is feasible. We're passing way too close to an airbase in northwestern Sumatra, which I know from SIGINT has an AirHQ there--I'm sure it's there for a reason.

Reinforcements
DD O'Bannon arrives at Balboa
SC-638 arrives at Los Angeles
VMSB-144 arrives at San Diego (2/16 dauntlesses--it may be awhile before I have enough planes to activate this squadron)
21st USN Naval Construction Battalion arrives at Port Hueneme
13th Construction Regiment arrives at Chengchow