View Single Post
Old 01-31-11, 11:50 AM   #162
Stargazer
A-ganger

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

My crew and I have never been great at anti-aircraft fire. We give it a go but always end up going inside after a few attempts and diving for cover before everyone shows up for the party.

I was surfaced and doing an extended patrol not far from Trinidad and Tobago when someone called out they'd seen a plane. It was a B24.

I have a quite a lot fo heavy-bomber experience so I know that lining up a bomb run on a target is a long methodical process of calculating speed, distance and altitude and that by the time they've got themselves all lined up to get me, I can have them as a smouldering wreckage, falling out of the sky.

I've got my two best gunners in their positions and we're blasting away when... hold on... what's it doing? Is it diving at me?

Whoaa *#*@&£*^#*%*, it's diving at us. Dive the boat! DIVE DAMMIT! DIVE!!!! Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Then there was a monumental amount of noise and the two gunners were killed and my boat began leaking from all over the place and everything was broken and I was now sinking fast.

Stopped the leak and pumped the water out with just 15m's underneath me to crush depth.

But did I feel like a mug when I rocked up in Lorient a week and half later with unservicable torpedo tubes, broken sonar, broken radar, broken hydrophone, broken radio, broken persicopes, broken flak guns, broken deck gun, hull integrity of about 40% and a pipe in the command room that hadn't stopped spraying water over everyone since the initial attack.

From now on, I'll just hide. My days of thinking "I'll get the plane, how hard can it be" are over.

But since when do Liberator's do dive bombing?! I mean proper dive bombing... And flaming precise at that! It's a heavy for goodness sake! I could probably handle it if it had been an A26 but a B24?!

C'mon. Seriously?
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote