Old 06-23-19, 08:39 AM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
First, a 1 TB hard drive?

As to your question: 8 GB is probably all you really need, but 16 is always nice.

I stuck with a 1 TB HD because its what I'm running now. I run a handful of games although I have a lot of versions of RA for Dangerous Waters and my FS 2002 install is getting close to "No Mas". For all of that , the current drive is something like 7/8ths empty after three years.
I considered a 2 TB drive or an SSD/HD combo but I really wanted to back up (clone) the current HD first so I could run the new HD and keep the old HD bolted in the case (unplugged) as an archive. Maybe later?

With the RAM, yeah. I got an extra stick of 8 GB DDR3. I have it installed now and it matches nicely with the old RAM. I guess the machine likes it but I don't see much of an improvement. I paid under $30 (US) and I wanted to buy some DDR3 while I still could. Worst case, I'll unplug the new stick and keep it as a spare in case the old stick gets fried.

As far as cloning a Win10 install, I had no issues at all. The registry knows its running new hardware but it doesn't seem to care. The only issue was finding the Control Panel to format the new HD prior to cloning, but you can search YT for some good step-by-step videos.
If you use Acronis to clone drives, be aware that finding the free download is getting tougher. Acronis wants to charge you 30 bucks a year for their program but you can use the free version if you have a Western Digital or SanDisk storage device.
In my case, I was cloning a Toshiba HD to a blank WD drive and the Acronis software still didn't want to install. I plugged in a SanDisk thumb drive and everything went smoothly.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote