View Single Post
Old 05-17-19, 10:08 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

First, a 1 TB hard drive? I have a 240 GB SSD just for the OS (Windows 10), and a 500 GB SSD just to hold my games. I have a 4 TB Internal HDD for my main storage, and I just today used some found money for an External 4 TB backup drive. This will replace the 3 TB drive that died a while ago and cover for the older 2 TB drive that is rapidly running out of room. That one will now be used just for music storage.

As to your question: 8 GB is probably all you really need, but 16 is always nice. Some people have 32 or even 64, but 16 will probably keep you covered. One thing I've recently learned though: Check your RAM speed (2133, 3200, 3600...) and make sure the new one matches that number. Having two different frequencies can make things worse, not better. It doesn't have to be the same manufacturer, though buying them in pairs makes it easier. I also used some of that "found money" to buy a pair of 8-Gig sticks (I got suckered by the "RGB" thing) that are a lot faster than the ones I have. And don't forget to check the listing and make sure the new one is DDR3. It is completely different from DDR4, and they don't fit into the same slots. What's even funnier is that modern graphics cards (now upgraded to "GPUs" ("Graphics Processing Units") are using DDR5, and everyone is wondering why RAM sticks haven't got there yet.