View Single Post
Old 05-17-19, 02:14 PM   #1
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Default But, do I need it?

So, I'm getting ready to do some upkeep on my desktop.
I'm running a "value-based" rig that features a fast i3 cpu with 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM and Win10/64 bit. I have no complaints with this rig. It runs my games (old games) just fine and its a great platform for most on-line use.
I have a 1 Tb HD coming in the mail which I'm going to clone to my current HD then test. If it runs better, I'll swap the drives. If its the same, I'll store it in case I need the back up or the current drive fails.

One thing has me puzzled: should I plan to upgrade the RAM? I like the idea of having a spare stick of DDR3 RAM while I can still buy it but would I see any kind of performance boost by doubling my on-board RAM from 8 Gig to 16 Gig?

I barely use the second core in the CPU as it is. For games, I play stuff like Dangerous Waters and Flight Sim 2002 and CTD's are very rare (something like once a year) and I've played these games for over 12 hours at a time.

So, assuming I can match the specs of my current 8 Gig stick with a second 8 Gig stick, do I see any kind of gains in performance or am I just doubling my access time?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote