View Single Post
Old 10-30-20, 03:55 PM   #2099
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

As mentioned, you may not "see" a shelling-out when Windows does it. Good information to know though that you did not move a deck gun. Did you have a Narwhal boat earlier in your career(s) though?

I should be able to eliminate weather factors then, and concentrate on the Waypoint speeds. I have found a "Fast" merchant group in the 42b layer that isn't so "fast" after all, and it has "GENERIC Merchant" vessels in it, of which the slowest in the v1.26p is 9.6 knots. The Split Merchant can do 12 knots, and some of the Waypoints in that group are set to 12 knots in that particular area. That may well cause an issue for the group if one or two of the vessels cannot do the speed they are set to. That particular group also has a Hospital ship as its leader, and the slower ships may have impeded the troopship. The troopship would generally be quite a bit larger than the Split Merchants, and that might be why the troopship ended up "stranded" and separated from the group, in that it was turning to avoid collision... maybe. There are quite a few fishing vessel groups in the area, and what you saw may have been two groups temporarily co-mingling on similar courses.
Never have tried going out on the Narwhal.
Just to add to the mystery of stopped Fast Merchants, I just got in from a patrol in Gato to deliver an agent to Guam. Left Midway on 9/4/43, and later that same day got a radar, and then a sonar contact at 22:24 hours. The contact was SE of us, not moving and was at approximately 179-57-30W; 27-30N. Upon inspection by the external camera, I found a static Split Merchant flying the US flag. All the previous encounters had been Japanese.

I would have reported the encounter last night but the crew burying my neighbor's new Fiber cable next door cut mine in the process! Didn't get a fix until late this afternoon.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote