View Single Post
Old 06-01-17, 08:39 AM   #6
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

I'm definitely open to help from anyone. Especially interested in hearing the sounds you've created so far, as well as knowing your sources for original sounds. Feel free to PM me about that if you like, I think some of that info may be sensitive especially for military platforms.

Would also like input from former sonar guys and just submariners / ASW people in general regarding accuracy of sounds. I'm sure a lot of info is classified but I would like to make the sounds more accurately match up with the narrowband sonar profiles. I think Sonalysts deliberately fudged this aspect of the sim due to "Top Secret" stuff.

There are some things I plan to ask the RA developers to help with as well, as far as I know certain aspects of the sound engine are hard coded but can likely be changed easily with a bit of work on the dll's or exe. I do not want to start on my own exe modding project if RA's team can work with me on this. One dream I have would be 44k stereo sounds, but I am not sure this is possible without original source code to modify the sound engine. In a previous life though, I was able to modify an old flight simulator from the low quality 11 or 22k mono up to 44k stereo. Might be a possibility.

I struggled with popping and clicking too until I realized that wavs which loop perfectly in the editor are truncated in the sim, so they need to be created in a way that the sim loops the wav at the right point. It's been a while since I did loop work but I remember I managed to overcome it. This was critical for the aircraft where the loop sounds were just horrible.

Ideally I'd like to get this sound mod put into the RA base package at some point in the future, and I also intend to make an offer to help the RA team get the USNI and documentation and mission text translated into correct and easy to read English. This is still a bit far off though, there is a lot of work to be done, but a major sound overhaul is loooong overdue in this sim.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote