View Single Post
Old 06-08-16, 09:12 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
If the sub had been a type VIIB or C and the theater was the Atlantic or Arctic attacking lone merchants or convoys, i don't think you would have needed a kick-starter, the game would have sold itself.

hi Schuck,

yes, I agree, U-Boats are the biggest draw and probably always will be. The devs started the whole game as a project for university, so it made sense to focus on their homeland.I'm guessing the success they had in designing and programming the game--they are very good at what they do -- encouraged them to make a commercial game of it.

Here's my hope and what I say in my nightly prayers to Neptune:
  • HMS Marulken will reach its Kickstarter goal, and Skvader will be able to continue development.
  • Then, in 9 months it be released as a finished game with a defined set of features on Steam.
  • The game will sell nicely, funding the devs to begin work on a new game, a U-Boat version of HMS Marulken.
  • The U-Boat version will be released on Steam and sell like crazy, let's say 50,000 copies, and Skvader Studio will be the darling of the indie game development scene, attract tons of media coverage, and be able to hire staff, and begin work on a Royal Navy destroyer sim where players can control a Convoy Commander DD and a convoy, and play with U-Boat players for the ultimate subsim battles.

But, as it must be so clear to everyone, it has to start with the success of the Kickstarter campaign. I believe Einar and Oscar are talented and dedicated enough to make a top notch game, but it is a matter of resources (time and money). You and I and the Subsim community have a role to play and that is money and getting the word out. Subsim has made its pledge and is standing by to offer assistance. Everyone should be making posts about this game in other forums and blogs and emailing game journalists to cover the effort. It's the only way we will have a game to play this time next year. Otherwise, the devs will be working at IT companies on projects that pay their rent, and may never have time to finish the game.