View Single Post
Old 09-28-19, 07:36 PM   #32
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

bullhorn Scapa Flow Mission

In order to get the game out the door and off to a good start the initial focus was on open ocean convoy battles--the quintessential U-boat scenario. We plan to come back to open ocean battles with improvements later but now with bots added to the game, the direction switches to the Scapa Flow mission. This will add another level of tension and stress to the players because there are a lot of things to deal with in a harbor penetration and we want to include all the elements:
  • nets
  • mines
  • blockships
  • coastal batteries
  • patrols
  • Fishing boats
  • Northern lights
  • lookouts
  • Rip tides and tidal factors
  • Enigma messages
  • Time factors
A successful Scapa Flow mission will be a challenge. I'm sure there are a lot of players here who can add suggestions and ideas to make the scenario realistic and enjoyable.

I'm proposing a historical version of Scapa Flow, where the elements are faithful to the 1939 situation and also a Scapa Flow II where the elements are more randomized so the players will not have a formula and roadmap to success. Sometimes the blockships will be in different locations, sometimes there will be unexpected patrols, other times additional nets. I also would like to see the occasional Enigma message received that, when properly encoded, will supply the players with crucial intel such as location of minefields and tidal flows.

Precise navigation without GPS on the map will also be a fascinating gameplay element in this mission.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 09-28-19 at 07:52 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote