View Single Post
Old 04-21-19, 05:32 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Same thing I got yesterday with the GATO first attempt, numbers in the files don't match. Looking at my previous post;

[CareerStart 1.Flotilla 2]
ID= C1Flotilla2
NameDisplayable= Manila
IDLinkFlotilla= FremantleCommand
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F2Sboat, 6, F2Porpoise, 7, F2Salmon, 6, F2Sargo, 11, F1Gato, 5
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 2 ; to be used when a random choice is assigned

[Flotilla 2.UserPlayerUnitType 7]
ID= F2Gato
NameDisplayable= Gato class
AvailabilityInterval= NULL, NULL
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Gato
UnitTypeCommonality= 10
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL

Note that the numbers don't match, and further down in the careerstart.upc is the availability of the GATO if you start a career in Brisbane 1943;

[CareerStart 3.Flotilla 3]
ID= C3Flotilla3
NameDisplayable= Brisbane
IDLinkFlotilla= BrisbaneCommand
IDLinkUserPlayerUnits= F3Sboat, 6, F3Sboat2, 6, F3Salmon, 3, F3Sargo, 3, F3Gato, 4, F3Gar, 4, F3Porpoise, 2
FlotillaBriefingText=
FlotillaCommonality= 1 ; to be used when a random choice is assigned

So I have an F1, F2, and F3 designation for the same sub type in the same career, which would crash anything.

What I did to fix that was go with the F3Gato in both files in both places, once the conflicts were dealt with it worked, although I still got the error message when exiting the program. And the early war conning tower and weapons availability;

Propbeanie. I reverse engineered what I did with the SARGO, for the GATO it was simpler. Using the PORPOISE as an example (since I haven't modded that one), in the \Submarine\NSS_Porpoise\NSS_Porpoise.upc file;

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
ID=PorpoiseConningSlot
NameDisplayable=Conning Tower Slot
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=PClassConningTower
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1942-07-31, PClassConningEarlyWar
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2= 1942-08-01, 1943-05-31, PClassConningHalfCut
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault3= 1943-06-01, NULL, PClassConningLateWar
ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

Change that to read;

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
ID=PorpoiseConningSlot
NameDisplayable=Conning Tower Slot
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=PClassConningTower
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1942-07-31, PClassConningLateWar
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2= 1942-08-01, 1943-05-31, PClassConningLateWar
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault3= 1943-06-01, NULL, PClassConningLateWar
ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

Then you have the late war tower always. GATO has an "ELITE" tower that comes stock with 40mm BOFORS guns, so if I replace all 3 of the other towers with the ELITE then I can start the war with a GATO that already has the cut down tower, SD improved, SJ-1, and the 40s, in Manila. Still returns the error message exiting the game though, dunno what that's all about.

SARGO doesn't have an "ELITE" tower, so for that I had to screw around in the upgrade packs, UnitParts6Sargo.upc I changed the AA slots to read;

[UnitPart 1.UpgradePackSlot 1]
ID= UpgAAGun
NameDisplayable= Anti-Aircraft Gun
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=USLightAA, USHeavyAA, USHeavyAA
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= CTBackAA
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, NULL, Upack40mmSingle

Again, for aMaschina, this is where the crashes happen - the game reads the \Submarine\NSS_Sargo\NSS_Sargo.upc file, notes it has an early war conning tower so adds that, then tries to add the Upack40mmSingle guns specified in the UnitParts6Sargo.upc as default, and it won't fit, game crashes. There's no report on WHY the crash, so it takes some skull sweat to track these things down. Studying (1) all the files affecting the subtype you want to drive, and (2) all the campaign files that specify sub types, weapons, and dates available, plus whatever other files specify dates that the weapons were available.

Be advised you might succeed then discover you don't like your new mod, a few months ago I made a little mod to make the US Mark 16 torpedo as the default for all subs. After a few weeks of testing I found that it made the game so ridiculously easy there was no fun in it, so I got rid of that.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote