View Single Post
Old 02-07-06, 02:03 AM   #3
Excalibur Bane
XO

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Demon
Yep. Fleet Command is a great game. I've never removed it from my hard drive(s) since I bought it in late 1999. I love putting some little naval strategic scenarios together to kill 30 minutes here and there.

It would help if you posted what you're specs are. I'm currently running with Pentium 820 2.8 GHz, XP SP2 and have a Nvidia 6800 - 256 MB and 1 GB RAM. 160 MB hard drive. Fleet Command runs OK on my system, but I still have a screen flicker effect. I've tried to end all unnecessary programs running in the background to no effect. I'm still working on it, but I've gotten used to it...kinda. Maybe you have alot of stuff running in the background. I would suggest you start there.

At any rate, it's good to see others here interested in this game.
Hmm. Problem solved. A Glide wrapper did the trick quite nicely. You know, for a game of it's age, it has graphics are that are suprisingly pleasant at 1024 x 768 with 4x AA and 16x AF. I have a terrible for memory for everything else in my life, yet I always manage to remember all the keys for every game I've ever played soon as I fire it up. I sanitized every track in the Iranian attack scenario within about 2 mins. That's not bad. I even got the neutrals, not bad considering I haven't played it in 5 years probably.

I have similar specs. Sort of anyway. Athlon XP 3200+, 1 GB of DDR 400, XFX Geforce 6800 GT running at 400/1.2. As a general rule, I don't run anything in the background that isn't essential to Windows operation. My system tray always remains empty, just the volume and my net connection icons. Sometimes I even shutdown explorer, run a game, then relaunch it via task manager after I've finished playing. One can never have too much speed after all

Edit: The obscure text file I found with the hint of trying Glide is signed Rubini. I wonder if it's the same fellow that floats around in the SH3 forum here? Hmm. :hmm:

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing."
Excalibur Bane is offline   Reply With Quote