View Single Post
Old 06-22-17, 02:33 PM   #36
captinjoehenry
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller1 View Post
Well, I can only relate my own experiences. I served on three different boats from 1980 to 2004.

USS Phoenix SSN-702
USS Finback SSN-670
USS Oklahoma City SSN-723

I spent 75% of my time up in 'Indian Country'.

Just remember, do not just take the word you read in a book about US Submarine operations as gospel. There is a lot of disinformation in there, some it old and out of date and some is just plain wrong.
I read Sontags book. I found it.... amusing...

Book information is one thing but in all actuality, there is no operational 'warning, caution or note' that says what your maximum speed should be when launching a torpedo. I've done it at all speeds including flank.

With regards to the wire, there are several reasons, from tube construction to weapon functions to explain why I say the wire breaks way to much. But hey, its just a game.

One thing I was confused by was your reference of AOB. In the TMA world, AOB is always referenced from the contact, not the bearing from own ship (OS) to the contact.
Hmm well that sounds like a convincing reason to allow full speed torp launches. I just wish you had some sort of physical or referable proof about the torp launch limits. Still I am not hugely surprised to hear it is possible in the real world. I do hope it is changed in game as well.
captinjoehenry is offline   Reply With Quote